What better way to soak up the last few weeks of summer than to celebrate with the best of the season’s crops? Here’s my favorite Watermelon Gazpacho recipe.
- 5 cups peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped watermelon, plus 1 cup finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1 cup peeled, seeded, and diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 3/4 cup diced red bell pepper (about 1 pepper)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Juice of 1 lime (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
Combine 5 cups watermelon and the cranberry juice in the jar of a blender, and puree until mixture is smooth. Pass through a fine sieve into a large bowl or plastic storage container, discarding pulp. You should have 3 cups strained liquid.
Add cucumber, celery, bell pepper, onion, herbs, lime juice, vinegar, jalapeno, and remaining cup chopped melon to watermelon liquid, and stir to combine. To really get the flavors infused, keep it (covered with glass) in the sun for around 2 hours. Cover with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator until soup is well chilled, at least 1 hour. Serve, or store in refrigerator up to 1 day.
Pairs beautifully with a white wine sangria!